Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Button Wreath Christmas Ornaments

Soo Many Buttons . .  . . .
 
So besides crochet doilies, I have an addiction to buttons and
knew that one of these days I would have to do something with them besides making button bracelets - I tend to favorite darker, metallic buttons to make the bracelets.  So what to do with the other buttons that are gathering dust in my black hole of craft supplies?  Wreath ornaments, of course!  There are dozens of tutorials to make these on Pinterest - each with a little different approach.  I decided to take the low budget approach - use what you have in the craft stash.
 
So to begin,  I used a cardboard from an old gift box - a bit thicker
and heavier than a shirt box, traced the outline from a vintage mold and cut the shape out using kitchen shears and sharp pointy shears for the interior circle.  Then I wrapped the shape with scraps of white bias tape for one, and blanket binding for the other - using a hot glue gun just at the beginning and ending of each fabric piece.  I used some gold cording - again scraps for  the hanger and ribbon. Don't forget to add the hanger before you start gluing the buttons on.
 
I used a variety of  buttons in shades of white and some clear in  different sizes to make the wreaths. I started with the exterior edges - alternating smaller and larger buttons and also at the interior opening.  I had to reposition some of the buttons to make them fit better.  Then I filled in the spaces in between the outer and inner circles.  And the adding another layer of buttons to hide any gaps. 
 
Added a simple bow at the top.  These will be samples for the Women of St. Joseph's craft group.  Hope they will like them and make more for their annual craft show in November.
They donate all the proceeds to charity. 
 
I am going to do a heart shaped design next and will post it if it turns out as pretty as these. 
 
 
 
Button Wreath Ornaments


Back of wreath - cardboard wrapped with satin blanket binding
that was torn into strips

Cardboard circles cut from heavy gift box

Vintage dessert mold used as template for wreath
 

No comments:

Post a Comment