Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Bullet Casing Earrings - A Birthday Gift for A Friend

 
38 Bullet Casing Earrings
 
 
Ever since I saw bullet casings used to make jewelry, I've wanted to make some.  But, the problem was not getting the casings but drilling them.  I tried using my handy dandy Dremol tool but the bit was too small and the casing got hot.
 
Desperate to make earrings for a girlfriend's birthday gift, I implored my husband to help me.  And, he came through.  Not only did he do these two but several more so that I have them ready for my next project.  He used his regular heavy duty hand drill and a metal drill bit - 3/32nd.  The casings were wrapped in a piece of cloth and he held it steady with a pair of pliers to drill.
 
I used 18 gauge silverplated wire formed duplicate links and hammered them on my anvil with a regular claw hammer.  I wire wrapped several faceted glass beads and hung them on the hammered links and then wirewrapped the tops with another piece of wire this time 22 gauge, threaded it through the hole in the casing and added more faceted glass beads, wire wrapped a loop, hammered it then attached the sterling silver ear wires.  Ta dah! Birthday gift complete. 
  
Skip To My Lou

1 comment:

  1. Ever since I saw bullet casings used to make jewelry, I've wanted to make some. But, the problem was not getting the casings but drilling them. I tried using my handy dandy Dremol tool but the bit was too small and the casing got hot. novelty gifts

    ReplyDelete